The Pre-Sales Engineer role entails, amongst others, the design and build of accurate Bills of Material, configurations and solutions by studying and understanding partner requirements as well as planning and delivering POC’s and POV’s.
- Reporting to the Services Manager.
- Responsible for executing on configurations, builds and Bills and Bills of Material (BOM) for assigned products and/or technologies within specific timelines, as determined by Brand/Sales SLA’s.
- Responsible for validating partner BOM’s and configurations.
- Respond to partner technical queries and fielding phone support queries from partners on assigned product/s and technologies.
- Work closely with Vendor technical teams to understand current and new technical developments within assigned product/s and Technologies.
- Participates in and drive technical opportunities and initiatives, primarily within the Data Centre space.
- Be active in the IT community.
- Answer technical questions regarding allocated product/s and/or technologies and assist our internal sales team/s in articulating and presenting the technical value proposition to partners, customers and technical users.
- Plan for, deliver and share technical knowledge and experience with other internal team members.
- Review and contribute towards RFP’S/RFI’s and any other proposal from vendors and/or partners.
- Liaise with brand/sales, partners and their clients/representatives to understand the IT needs of business.
- Responsible for achieving a profit and productivity quota made up of the combined expectations of the brand, sales resources, market, and/or channel supported.
- Works deals identified by the brand sales team, supporting & prioritizing effort based on maximizing total impact on team productivity and profit, or as directed by the brand manager.
- Monitors customer support for technical solutions proposed throughout the sales process, and alerts the sales and account teams to potential risks to deal closure.
- Train and certify on allocated Brands, Technologies and Products as directed by Management.
- Keep required certifications active and renew certifications as and when required by management.
- Provide coaching and professional development to team members, brand/sales associates in order to enhance their product knowledge, technical acumen, and technical sales skills.
POC’s, POV’s and Demo’s
- Plan for and deliver proof of concept/value, aligned to the sales cycle, and involving the appropriate partner technical resources.
- Proactively scope, design, plan and deliver technical POC’s and POV’s, designed to address specific customer requirements.
- Document and report on all POC/POV outcomes to team members, partners and end customers.
- Meets assigned POC/POV performance targets, for profitable sales growth in assigned product lines, market areas, channel, and/or brand teams supported.
- Demonstrate and articulate our enterprise technologies, products and solutions to partners and their customers either onsite or remotely (Webex)
- Plan for and deliver product and/or technology demonstrations to team members, partners and their customers.
Knowledge and skill requirements
- At least 4 years of relevant working experience implementing or utilising application and/or networking performance monitoring solutions, providing technical reports and technical problem solving;
- Must come from a broad IT background as will also manage in-house infrastructure (Domain controllers, exchange servers, Network etc)
- Solid understanding of networking technologies, protocols and interconnectivity;
- Experience with virtualization technologies
- The drive to develop your technical understanding and capabilities;
- A hands-on mentality and a critical mind
- Excellent communicator and presenter
- Good understanding of the Office 365 environment
Desired Experience & Qualification (Riverbed)
- Grade 12 / Matric
- N+ required
- An additional networking related qualification (e.g. CCNA/CCNP)
- 3+ years’ experience in the networking environment
- TCP/IP protocol stack
- WAN technologies: MPLS, Satellite, ADSL, GPRS/3G, etc.
- Routing protocols BGP, OSPF, EIGRP and Policy Based Routing
- Spanning-tree and VLAN configurations
- Router and Switch configurations
- Network redundancy, high-availability design and load balancing implementations
- Quality of Service
- Firewall topologies and configurations
- IPsec and SSL VPNs
- Network & Application Performance Monitoring – Riverbed/AppDynamics/Dynatrace/CA/SolarWinds/Lakeside Systrack
- IP configurations
- SDN, SD-WAN, WAN Optimization
- Application Delivery Controllers
- Network Automation, scripting
- Network Capacity Planning
- WLAN deployment and security